Monday, June 22, 2009

Cyclin' Chicks!

Oh, my... What has my competitiveness got me into this time? Some psycho person over here decided to organize an all-female bike ride around the lake. Like a dummy, I signed up. Yes, I have gone on long bike rides before - two to Jackson Hole before LoToJa was even thought of, but that was a day or two ago. Now I am pushing 50 years of age and 20 pounds heavier... And as for training - I am definately a fair-weather rider, so I probably don't have to tell you how many miles I have put in in the last three weeks. So, yes, I am basically wingin' it. But - I am excited as heck about it. Something I can say I have accomplished this summer. Ned doesn't think I can do it, and that just gives me more reason to get after it. Following is a list of every thing I have gathered for the voyage. If I have left anything out, let me know SOON - the ride is this Wednesday, June 24th.

So I figure I better have a bike...



And some really good, high power energy snacks (a.k.a. comfort food)


And you know me, wouldn't think of leaving the camera behind! I must document this momentous occasion.


An Ipod to listen to... This could be the longest __ hours of my life!



Cell phone is mandatory - in case I need a ride home!



Little head set in case I get really bored and want to call one of you to pass the time of day... And riding while holding a cellular device could be detrimental to my health!



Shades - wouldn't leave home without them.



Bandanas - yes there are two of them. One to wear around my head to absorb the masses of sweat that will be running off my not-so-intelligent head. And the second one... to wipe what ever else needs wiping! You know, snotty nose, bugs out of eyes, etc.



Helmet and gloves - goes with the territory.



Water bottle - could be a womans' best friend before the day is over...



And last, but not least by any means, spandex! Who cares what they look like on the outside...



It's the cushion on the INSIDE that really matters!



So wish me luck, and look forward to a post about the actual ride - if I live to blog about it! :0)

2 comments:

Eki said...

I hope you are not riding that pink bike, either take your mtb bike or break that old road bike out of the garage. Better take two water bottles, one for each hour you'll be out between Minatonka Mart and Lake Town. I suggest filling one of the bottles at each of the Mart's with your favorite beverage containing lots of sugar and caffeine and the other with water. And leave early in the AM, like 6:00, and don't forget the sunscreen. Of course you'll make it, you've got too much Eck in you to not.

Jenn said...

Nice! I am very impressed that you do this; I used to love a good, leisurely bike ride, but that would kick my butt! You'll be stylin', too, with all your accesories; do you have a basket for the front to put them all in? ;D