Friday, June 11, 2010

My New Babies...




Aren't they cute???  Sunday night we hatched out 12 baby Mandarin ducks. Monday morning I kicked mamma duck out of the nest box, gave her 3 babies, and I stole the other 9.  Only had one fatality and the rest are looking really good.  She ran off in the grass with her 3 and I haven't seen them since.  These little guys are living in the shop with a heat lamp and lovin' life (I hope...).  Building a new pen/waterfall for them - it will be safer and more accessable for viewing.


This picture shows just how tiny they are compared to my hand.  In a couple of weeks, bring your kids by to watch them and maybe even hold one!



This is what they look like full grown - the pretty colored one is the male.

2 comments:

Laurie Rutledge said...

Why did you take them away from their momma? I guess I don't understand these things.

Terra May said...

Very cute. Maybe we will have to come on a field trip.