Sunday, May 31, 2009

Final Family Pics for a while...

In case you haven't noticed, I am bored of posting old family pics so tonite will be the final one. And as I promised, I have saved the best for last... ME! In scrapbooking, they always say you need to scrap about yourself, too, but that is so hard for me to do... But I will give it a shot. Nothing means more to me than heritage, and I am so proud of mine. Grandma Atkinson was the greatest ever. My two favorite - nope, scrap that, there will be more than two... Anyway, my favorite memories of her include catching penny bugs in the front ditch; catching frogs out back; playing checkers on the floor in the family room; her asking me to learn to fly a "whirly bird" (helicopter) so she could get back and forth to Cache Valley quicker and easier; and playing the game where you throw the ball over the roof to each other - like "Annie I Over" or something like that. What an awesome lady.


And thanks to Grandma, I got the absolute, without a doubt, greatest mother in the world. A few memories of mom include, getting caught in a rain storm while picking raspberries and sitting under the bushes trying to keep dry and laughing our guts out; her laugh-it was kind of a silent laugh-no sound to it, and how her eyes always watered when we laughed so hard; all the dogs we always had; her polyester pants-don't think she ever owned a pair of levis; how supportive she was of mine, and the rest of yours, athletic endeavors, up until the week before she died, she was still watching me play softball at the ballpark; her love to travel; how she always kept the car on "empty" (according to dad); her monotone singing voice-that she was never afraid to use at church singing hymns; how hard she worked to make Christmas "just right"; and a trait that I have definately picked up from her: how to fall asleep as soon as the car engine starts... I could go on for hours... But just the fact that she let me, be me.


So- do you dig the wringlets? Pretty dang cute, huh?


And how about this letter? You guys can all have your 4.0's and Honor Society's and so forth - but NONE of you can compete with this fine letter from Principle Jensen - eat your hearts out! No wonder I went in to the field of Law Enforcement! P.S. Make sure and click on the letter so you can read it!


Next, a picture of the Motely Crew... Ha, ha, ha! Check out my gut! Can you believe it? Oh what I would give for a magic pill that would make me that skinny again...

And lastly, me and my sunshine girl. Hopefully she will be as proud of her heritage as I am of mine. The end.

5 comments:

JD Rutledge said...

That was awesome. Thanks for the pictures. I think that you and your sisters should do a blog together of memories of your mom. I would love to read it.

Terra May said...

I shed a tear or 2 while reading that! What great memories. And way to go safety patrol. I never knew schools really had those. They never had then at Providence when I went there.

I agree with JD!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane....we girls really do need to have an overnighter and go through all our boxes of pictures together! Hope you enjoyed those I e-mailed you earlier today!

Jodi said...

That letter was hilarious!! Gotta luv it!

Jenn said...

Thanks so much for that, Tam. It made me cry, too. I really wish that I'd gotten to know grandma better; but I do remember her awesome polyester pants very well; I also remember picking berries and every few minutes, she'd pop on in her mouth, and so I did, too! Oh, and don't forget how she peeled the apple in one big long ringlet. :) LOVE LOVE LOVE the letter! You must've had some real hooligans at Prov. Elementary back then! :)